Serving Muscatine since 1870
First National Bank of Muscatine was founded in 1870, just five years after the end of the Civil War under the name Silverman, Cook & Company on the corner of Second Street and Iowa Avenue. In 1875, P.M. Musser became a partner and the bank name was subsequently changed to Cook, Musser and Company.
Following the historic “bank holiday” of 1933, its officers restored the bank to required financial condition, using stockholders’ personal assets. On April 10, 1933, the bank reopened under a new name, Muscatine Bank and Trust Company. It would be more than two months before any other local banking facilities were available for use.
Over the next three decades, the nation experienced numerous economic changes which affected the American lifestyle, savings, and buying power. The bank continued to evolve with the times, and to offer its customers maximum convenience, a new walk-up/drive-up facility was opened in 1961. Located at the corner of Third and Cedar Streets, it was the first of its kind in Muscatine.
Muscatine Bank and Trust Company, was chartered as a national bank in 1966 and changed to its current name of First National Bank of Muscatine. The present day location of the main office, located on Second and Cedar Streets was constructed in 1978. In the decades following, the bank continued to expand, opening several branches around Muscatine to better serve customers.
Throughout its rich history, one thing remains the same – the enthusiastic support of the community from which the bank was built. Its tradition of aggressive reinvestment in the local community has provided funding for countless businesses – from sole proprietorships to corporations with global reach – as well as job creation, economic security, and the opportunity of home ownership.
Today, the bank makes annual financial contributions to more than 150 area activities and organizations. The employees of the bank are consistently empowered to give back to the community through boards, drives, church, clubs, and involvement in community initiatives. The bank impacts the next generation by offering generous financial support to classroom and extra-curricular activities. In 2015, First National Bank began sponsorship of a comprehensive financial literacy program at Muscatine High School.
From its beginnings in 1870, First National Bank has consistently supported Muscatine by helping families, farmers, and businesses grow and prosper. The bank’s employees, management, and Board of Directors look forward to continuing the 145 year legacy of moving onward and upward throughout the twenty-first century.